Thursday, 9 February 2012

Value Engineered Valentine's

I'm not a big fan of Valentine's day. As a concept it's fine, I just think that if you're going to have a day where you demonstrate to your partner how much you love them through the purchasing of gifts and such, surely your anniversary is a perfectly appropriate day? Why have another day where you do the exact same thing, but where it means less?

Anyway as a result I save my extravagant presents/displays of affection for the anniversary; but that doesn't mean I can get away with doing nothing for Valentine's day. Not unless I want to seem like a complete dick.

On the other hand thoughtlessly spending money on garish tat or the slightly more tasteful but uninspired flowers and chocolate seems to me to be a little pointless, especially when you can have a better gift for far less money, but admittedly with a little more work.

Value engineering is a bullshit term we use at work when we want to say something's cheaper but still does the same job. We use it because when you say something's cheaper the immediate reaction is that it must be also be crappier as a result.

So what is my great idea; basically it's just paper flowers. I know that was a long lead in for paper flowers, so here's a picture of a kitten to make it worth your while. If you're still interested in the flowers carry on reading after the kitten, full instructions are provided.



Origami paper is expensive(ish) so I use just normal cartridge paper, although origami paper can make them look much nicer. Follow the instructions link (yeah I was going to draw some of my own but I got carried away drawing kittens), and repeat 12 times. You now have a dozen roses ready to give your beloved for next to no money. Remember, it's not cheap it's value engineered.

Here's some I made earlier (sorry about the crap photos):





Alternatively if you don't like roses you could do lilies:


Or you could any number of other flowers, the internet is your oyster.

1 comment:

  1. And they lasted several years instead of several days :)

    ReplyDelete